so much yarn... so little time!

18.10.07

revisited

No crochet pics today. I'm still slogging through the squares for the 63 More squares booklet. It has languished long enough, and will be done by October 31. This is my pledge to you. :)




Instead, behold the kumihimo!

I posted a picture a few months ago of a kumihimo loom that I was learning to use. Remember the friendship bracelets that were all the craze about 20 years ago? I thought I was so cool, doing those during lunch hours, and wearing them until they turned into ragged, ratty, bits of embroidery floss... Kinda miss those days...
But back to the now. Above is the loom, with a work in progress (4 bobbins, a counter-weight, and a chopstick to keep things in order when I take the pauses). A four-stranded braid made from size 10 crochet cotton. A small amount of thread makes an amazingly long braid. Apparently, in times gone by, kumihimos were used by the Japanese to make the intricate braiding found on kimono and other clothing.
As of this posting, thet braid has been finished. Finally! Lol. Working with the kumihimo is soothing, but it took a long time to finish the bobbins. When I get my projects back down to a manageable number, I plan to attempt a more complex braiding.

Oh, and lest you think I was rambling with the friendship bracelet comment above, that is one thing that the braiding can be used for. Since I have no kimono. :D

1 Comments:

At 25/10/07, Blogger KnitFloozy said...

see! this looks as complicated as knitting socks on two circulars!!! how are ya gurl! hit me in the email...missthg@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home