so much yarn... so little time!


modular modules

Over at the 'Ville, I saw this pattern. Being the lazy sod that I am, I didn't feel like doing the entire afghan; 189 hexagons are a heck of a lot to crochet! However I did want to play around with different shapes than squares, so I decided to do a baby afghan with the hexagons from this pattern.
The first shot is of an individual module, and the second shot comprises the entire thing.

In terms of more mundane details, I used a g-hook, instead of the h- or i-hook recommended, because I typically end up with a larger than suggested guage. But other than that, I followed the instructions for making the hexagon pretty closely, and lo, my modules turned out to be the correct size.
There ended up being 91 hexagons in this afghan, and the finished product measured approx. 3ft by 3ft.


small things

Have I given a plug for this particular group yet? If not, then here goes. It's a cool group. They send baby clothes to hospitals so that every baby can go home in something handmade. And if you don't knit, crochet, quilt, sew, etc., they'll take balls/skeins of yarn so that their volunteers who may not have sufficient funds can nonetheless make their fingers fly. Also, if you don't have yarn to send, but want to contribute, they'll accept monetary donations. So. Take some time and peruse their site. It's a good cause.

I know I haven't posted to this blog in a while; it's not because I haven't been hooking along. I've been more caught up in a couple larger projects, and I've been plain lazy to take pictures of the smaller projects.

However, I'm trying to be better, so here are a couple pictures of hats I've made for the Stitches group. All three of the caps below fit on the end of a travel cup. So they are for preemies. All of them were crocheted with an F-hook. I'm not linking to any patterns because these hats were done from modified hat patterns; the exact patterns are only in my head for now.

I call this the Pagoda hat. I worked it from the bottom up, making one long rectangle, then decreasing in the round until a small hole was left. At first I wasn't so keen on it, but the little thing is growing on me. Perhaps I'll try this one again.

This one is worked from the top down, using a mesh stitch on the sides, simple scs on the top, and scs throughout.

Lastly there's this green one. It's in a beanie style, worked in hdcs from the top down. I like this one particularly. While the first 2 are in a soft worsted, this last one is done in a baby weight.